Monday, March 22, 2010

Woodstock '99 Revisited in Art

'Woodstock '99 Revisited' - Mixed Media on paper.

Remember Woodstock '99?  It was held in Rome N.Y. and ended in flames.  I guess it is no longer possible to capture the peace and love of the original.  I did attend despite my somewhat elderly status in comparison to many of the attendees.  How could I pass it up?  It was 7 miles away.

I must confess that I did not get the full woodstock experience.  I slept at home in my clean, comfy bed and was bussed in each morning and home at night.  It was the only way to go!!!

There was a wide array of bands from The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Korn, Kid Rock (before he went country) to Jewel and Cheryl Crow.  You can see the entire list of performers here.

A plywood and steel fence was consructed to prevent gate crashing.  Lots of murals were painted on the wall and that is what I depiced in my painting above.  This was such a unique image since I captured a solitary guy sitting by the fence.  Quite a feat since over 200,000 people were in attendance. 

I loved the artwork on this section of the fence so I painted this mixed media piece (acrylic and pencil) on paper to commemorate the event.  Tell me what you think...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails